How To Break In A Wilson GST Football: Step-by-Step Guide
If you’ve just acquired a new Wilson GST Leather Football or an Official NFL Football and are wondering how to make it game-ready, look no further. In this article, we’ll walk you through the process of breaking in your football, from start to finish. Breaking in a football is crucial, especially for leather balls like the Wilson GST, as new leather balls tend to be slippery and rigid due to the coating of orange dye and lack of conditioning. But fear not, by following these steps, you’ll transform your football into a well-prepped game companion in no time!
Why Break In A Football?
New leather footballs, such as the Wilson GST and Official NFL Football, arrive with a layer of orange dye that makes them feel slippery and unconditioned, resulting in a stiff texture. Breaking in your football serves several purposes:
- Improved Grip: Breaking in the leather ball softens it and enhances grip, giving you better control during throws and catches.
- Enhanced Accuracy: The conditioning process contributes to increased accuracy when passing the ball.
- Extended Lifespan: By using conditioners and wax products during the break-in, you can prolong the life of your football.
- Dark Brown Color: A broken-in football adopts the classic dark brownish hue seen in televised games.
- Better Performance: Just as baseball players break in their gloves, a well-conditioned football performs better on the field.
Professional Teams and Breaking In Footballs
If you’re curious whether professional teams go through the same process, the answer is yes! Most professional teams assign equipment managers to break in NFL Footballs using similar techniques. These managers often initiate the process months before practice sessions commence. Additionally, a specialized “mudding” process can be applied to NFL footballs, involving the application of football mud to enhance color, weatherization, and grip.
Steps to Break In Your Football
Follow these steps to break in your Wilson GST Football or Official NFL Football effectively:
- Wipe Down: Begin by wiping the football with a hot wet rag to remove excess dye and residue.
- Leather Conditioner: Apply a leather conditioner to the entire surface of the football. This helps soften the leather and improve grip.
- Kneading: Gently knead the football to further condition the leather and distribute the conditioner evenly.
- Brushing: Use a brush to work the conditioner into each panel of the football thoroughly.
- Drying Time: Allow the football to air-dry for about 24 hours.
- Optional Mudding Process (For NFL Footballs): Apply special football mud to the entire football and let it sit for 24 hours. Wipe off the mud and brush each panel to remove excess mud.
- Final Conditioning: Reapply a small amount of leather conditioner and knead the football again. This step ensures optimal softness and grip.
Skip the Hassle with Ball Breakers
If you’re looking to skip the intricate break-in process, consider using Ball Breakers. We understand the time and effort required to break in a leather football and offer a solution that eliminates the hassle. Our mission at Ball Breakers is to save you time and prevent the sore arm that often accompanies the manual break-in process.
In conclusion, breaking in a Wilson GST Football or an Official NFL Football is a necessary step to achieve optimal grip, accuracy, and performance on the field. By following these step-by-step instructions or utilizing services like Ball Breakers, you can ensure your football is game-ready and at its best when you hit the field. So, get ready to enjoy a well-conditioned and game-winning football experience!