Andros Townsend Left in Tears as Burnley Move Collapsed

Andros Townsend's Burnley Move Hits a Bumpy Road

Former free agent Andros Townsend, who had a deal in the pipeline with Burnley, recently shared his emotional journey after the move fell through. The 32-year-old winger was all set to join Vincent Kompany's squad during the summer transfer window. He had agreed to terms with the club following a successful trial.

Townsend had trained with Burnley during the summer and even played in their pre-season matches to regain fitness after missing the entire previous season due to an ACL injury. However, Burnley had a change of heart, withdrawing their offer, citing concerns that Townsend's signing might hinder the development of their young summer acquisitions, Luca Koleosho, 22, and Zeki Amdouni, 19.

Townsend confessed that the news of the contract's withdrawal was a tough pill to swallow. He explained on BBC Radio 5's Monday Night Club, "If I was performing poorly and knew I wouldn't get a contract, I could mentally prepare myself. But to be house-hunting, discussing schools, and squad numbers, only to be told the contract is off the table, it really shook my world. I presented my case, arguing that I bring a different dimension and that I'm comfortable being a squad player, contributing positively even when not playing."

Despite his disappointment, Townsend also acknowledged the reasoning behind Kompany's decision. "Burnley is a club that values marketable assets, so I reluctantly understand why Kompany made the call not to block their young talents' pathway by signing a 32-year-old," he remarked.

Following his departure from Everton at the end of last season, Townsend, who is still a free agent, nearly clinched a move to a Turkish club on deadline day but that deal never came to fruition. He said, "I spent the entire deadline day in Turkey, waiting for a deal that an agent assured me was a sure thing. I waited all day, and it didn't happen. That pretty much sums up my month—people giving me false hope."

Additionally, Townsend explored options with a third-division Saudi Arabian club, encouraged by an agent's claims that the club's president was eager to sign him. However, the deal fell through. Townsend shared, "I got excited about playing football again and called the agent the next morning, which was Saudi deadline day, but I was told that the president had decided not to bring in any new players, and the deadline passed."

Townsend's last appearance in the Premier League was in March the previous year, after which he suffered an ACL injury that sidelined him for 18 months. He played 45 minutes for Everton's Under-21s in May but left Goodison Park as his contract expired at the end of the season.

Listen to "It's All Kicking Off!"

"It's All Kicking Off" is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport offering a unique perspective on Premier League football. You can find it on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube, Apple Music, and Spotify. Don't miss out on the latest football insights!

Share or Comment on This Article:
Andros Townsend reveals he was left in tears after move to Burnley collapsed over the summer, as the Clarets pulled their offer after agreeing terms with the free agent.

Leave a Reply